The Importance of Nutrition & Good Reads

In a nutshell, poor quality, commercially cooked kibble and processed “food products” are responsible for much of the increase in chronic debilitating illnesses, joint problems, allergies, diabetes and cancers seen in our pets. If your pet has any of these conditions and has been treated with drugs, it is a good possibility that the root cause lies in your pet’s diet. We may be able to eliminate your pet’s issues by making dietary changes, and potentially eliminate the drugs, too.

What do our pets need to eat?

Our pets are healthiest when they eat as close to their natural diets as possible.

Cats are obligate carnivores, so their optimal diet consists of 70-75% high-quality whole animal—meaning muscle meats, organ meats, fat and bone. The remaining 25% should be puréed or cooked greens—and no grains!

Dogs are carnivores and scavengers, so their optimal diet consists of 50% high-quality whole animal, plus fresh or cooked veggies. Some dogs are able to process limited quantities of oatmeal, brown rice or quinoa.

People who feed their pets mostly kibble are compromising the health of their pets for the sake of convenience.                                                                                 —Dr. Steve Marsden, DVM, ND, LAc, Dipl.CH

What your pet needs may be very specific, depending on its history and physical examination, dietary sensitivities, weight, age, illness, and environmental factors.

 

Food Pets Die For
by Ann N. Martin.

book Foods Pets Die for

The commercial pet food industry has a secret to hide and Ann Martin wants to make sure you know it. Her research reveals some startling facts, like that the pet food industry conducts animal testing in order to improve their product, and includes euthanized cats and dogs in the mix to heighten protein content. In this revised and updated edition, Martin continues to explore the shocking processes by which commercial pet foods are produced. She offers alternative recipes for feeding pets, nutritional advice, and an exploration of “Pet Peeves,” in which she explores several scams aimed at pet owners. This groundbreaking book gives us a glimpse into exactly what we are doing when we buy pet food.

Dr. Becker’s Real Food for Healthy Dogs & Cats
by Karen Becker DVM and Beth Taylor.

 

 

Book Dr Beckers Real Food for healthy dogs and Cats

This book covers the basics of a homemade meat and vegetable diet for dogs and cats based on their ancestral diet. The program is formulated to meet nutrition guidelines for all life stages for pet food. Concrete direction is given for all parts of the preparation, with extensive coverage of all components of the diet.

Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats
by Kymythy Schlultze

 

 

 

 

Book Natural nutrition for dogs and cats

Kymythy Schultze has provided an excellent nutritional guide to help us build a healthier life for our animal friends

Dr. Pitcairn’s Natura Health for Dogs & Cats
by Richard H Pitcairn, DVM, PhD

 

 

 

 

 

 

Book Dr P Complete guide to natural health for dogs and cats

The book that is the definitive guide to a natural lifestyle for dogs and cats. Writing with the warmth and compassion that have won them a national following, veterinarian Richard H. Pitcairn and his wife Susan Hubble Pitcairn, noted specialists in chemical-free nutrition and natural healing for pets, show dog and cat owners how to provide the very best in companionship and lifelong care.

The Nature of Animal Healing
by Martin Goldstein, DVM

 

 

 

 

Book Nature of Animal Healing

For two decades, Dr. Martin Goldstein–America’s most successful, renowned holistic veterinarian–has healed and helped his animal patients with the same natural therapies that benefit humans. The results have been so astounding that today critically sick pets are brought to him from across the country for a new chance at life and health. This is a diet and holistic medicine guide combined, that also offers a section of frequently seen health problems in our pets, and his outline approach for each.

Not all of these books agree on everything, nor do I agree with everything in each of them, but for the most part they are great resources.
Please enjoy,
Kathy

Advertisements

One thought on “The Importance of Nutrition & Good Reads

  1. Thank you so much for this great list. I am headed to the Library now to get a few. I will be moving to your area next summer and will be sure to call you when I need some care for my dogs!

Comments are closed.